Foreign citizens (non-Chinese not holding a valid China passport) must obtain a visa before entry into China, with the exception of visa-free entry based on relevant agreements or regulations.

Chinese visas fall into four types: diplomatic visa, courtesy visa, service visa and ordinary visa. Ordinary visas are further divided into 12 sub-types or 16 categories. The most common one is the Ordinary visa type and this is the type of visa for which our non-Chinese attendees are advised to apply. Out of this Ordinary Visa type, the “F” visa category is for “Foreigners who intend to go to China for exchanges, visits, study tours and other non-business activities.” Those who are attending PharmaSUG China conference and intend to stay in China for a few days are advised to apply for this F visa type. PharmaSUG China can provide you with an invitation letter. Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

If you are touring China prior to/after the conference, you can apply for the L visa – Foreigners who intend to go to China as a tourist. For this L visa type, you do not need an invitation letter but you have to present your copy of round trip tickets or itinerary (your name must be on the itinerary).

Here are some useful websites about applying for a China visa:

  1. For U.S. citizens: